In 1930, the county chose land on the north side of Wooldridge Park for the construction of a third and largest County Courthouse. Construction began with the laying of the first stone in 1930;  On June 27, 1931, the courthouse was completed and opened, and the county courts and offices withdrew from the former courthouse.  As the county continued to grow, the facilities were significantly completed in 1958 and 1962.  After the defeat of the courthouse loan, the county began emptying the courthouse in 1936 with the completion of a new courthouse.  At a press conference on December 29, 2016, Travis County and federal justice officials and U.S. local representative Lloyd Doggett announced that ownership of the former federal court had been transferred to Travis County.  The county then estimated $28 million to adapt the structure to current building rules and adapt it to district courts by 2020.  On July 10, 2018, Travis County reached a negotiation agreement with developers on the design and construction of a new downtown court facility, and on January 15, 2019, the county approved funding for the project.  Construction began with a pickaxe on May 31, 2019, with completion of the new facility scheduled for 2022.  The interior of the building shows modern art and art deco surfaces and details.
The building was originally built for three courts and all county administration offices, with the county jail located on the upper two floors.  Starting in 2017[update], it now hosts two county civil courts, a justice of the peace, thirteen Texas district courts, two district officers and two estate courts, although the estate courts are transferred to the former federal courthouse by 2020.  The Heman Marion Sweatt Travis County Courthouse is the County Courthouse in Travis County, Texas. The courthouse is located in downtown Austin, Texas (the County Seat), and has civil and prison courts and other district government functions. The courthouse was built between 1930 and 1931 in the modern style of the PWA and expanded in 1958 and 1962. In the early 2010s, as population growth in Travis County continued to weigh on the court`s capacity, the county planned to replace the 1931 courthouse with an even larger new facility. On August 18, 2015, the Travis County Board Court voted to propose spending $287 million on municipal bonds to fund a new courthouse.  However, in the November 2015 general election, the measure was rejected by Travis County voters and the county adopted a “conservation master plan” in January 2016 to provide for the necessary repairs to the existing courthouse.  Travis County`s first specially constructed courthouse was a modest two-storey stone building built in 1855 near the Republican Park in downtown Austin. This courthouse was replaced by a larger building in 1876 and demolished in 1906.